Call for Student Artwork
Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center is seeking collegiate artists to participate in a statewide competition with over $2,000 of awards. Located one block from the State Capitol at 119 North Washington Square, Lansing Art Gallery is a non-profit arts organization in its fifty-first year. Engaging the next generation of creative entrepreneurs, the Michigan College Art Exhibition will encourage artistic excellence, provide networking opportunities, and enhance professional capacity through a competitive exhibition to be held in March 2018. Artworks of all medias are eligible; including but not limited to: paintings, sculpture, mixed media, photography, graphic design, installations, short film, and video games. For film or specialty entries, student must provide AV equipment if accepted. Artwork should not exceed 8’ in any direction. Applicants may submit up to three works of art.
• $1000 Best of Show
• $500 First Place
• $250 Second Place
• $150 Third Place
• $100 Honorable Mention
• Plus additional named awards
• Artists must be enrolled in a university or college that is located in Michigan
• Artists must be enrolled in at least one art or design related course
• Artists must be 18 years of age or older
• Artists may submit individual work in all media, including artwork designed for installation
• Artwork must be original in concept and design
• Artwork must be properly prepared for presentation
• Artwork must have been created within the past three years
• Artwork may not exceed 8’ in any direction
There is a non-refundable entry fee of $10 due at the time of application. This nominal entry fee shows that the applicant is committed to the exhibition and helps fund operational costs for the exhibit including juror stipends, promotional and administrative costs. Scholarships are available if needed; please contact Katrina M. Daniels at email@example.com for more information. Students who are members of Lansing Art Gallery may enter for free. Student memberships are available here
for $25 annually.
Submission Deadline (online only): February 1, 2018
Jury Notification to Students: by February 10, 2018
Artwork Delivery: February 22 - 25, 2018
Exhibition: March 1 - 28, 2018
Reception and Awards Presentation: March 16, 2018
Art Removal: March 29 - 31, 2018
Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center will widely promote exhibiting artists through press release distribution locally and statewide, radio interviews, emails, print materials, social media, public speaking engagements, and word-of-mouth. An online exhibition catalog will feature all selected artwork.
Artist is responsible for delivery and removal OR shipping, insurance and return postage for artwork to be returned. All art not removed by April 7 will become the property of the gallery. Entries will be handled with all possible care, but Lansing Art Gallery does not provide insurance for artwork and is not responsible for loss or damage from any cause whatsoever. Lansing Art Gallery reserves the right to remove artwork for any reason. Permission to photograph accepted work for publicity purposes shall be granted unless specifically denied in writing. Lansing Art Gallery will charge 50% commission on sales for non-members and 45% for members. Participating artists will be required to sign a contract and complete a W-9 form for tax purposes.
Entries must be made online, via Submittable. Applicants must create a user account to submit the entry form. Submissions should represent the exact works of art the artist intends on exhibiting in the Michigan Collegiate Art Exhibition. Entries should include:
– Up to 3 works of art. Two-dimensional artworks should be represented in 1 photo each, while three-dimensional artworks are allotted up to three photos. IMPORTANT: Images should be named as the title of artwork (ex. titleofartwork.jpg)
– Media, retail price (if applicable), and artwork size for each image
– Artist statement to be used for promotional purposes, including the website