• Artists must be living in Michigan.
• Artists must be 18 years of age or older.
• All artwork must be original art of the artist’s own creation.
• All accepted artwork must be finished and ready for display.
• Gallery personnel will display artwork.
• Artwork must have been completed within the past 3 years.
Utilizing guidelines approved by our Board of Directors, art specialists will adjudicate your artwork. These professionals adjudicate on a rotating basis, ensuring the gallery represents a variety of tastes and styles. Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center makes every effort to contact artists within one month of submission receipt.
You may upload a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 10 images of artwork per submission. Please fill in the blanks for each image appropriately, including title, media, price, and size.
Image names must match either the title of each piece of artwork or the image number. (ex: titleofimage.jpg, image1.jpg) Each entry must include an artist statement. You may upload this statement, or type it in the appropriate text field.
Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center retains a commission (45% for members and 50% for non-members) of all sales. Artists are not required to be members of the Gallery.
If work is declined, artists may submit artwork again in six months for reconsideration. Juror comments are available upon request.
If you have any questions regarding this application or the jury process, please contact Exhibitions & Gallery Sales Director, Katrina M. Daniels at email@example.com
Title: The LGBTQ+ artist in Michigan
Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center is accepting proposals for a group exhibition of artists who identify as a member of the LGBTQ+ community. The Gallery is seeking submissions of artwork made within the past three years which explores the experience of LGBTQ+ identified artists living in Michigan. This exhibition is in partnership with “Suits and the City,” whose mission is to promote the interests of LGBTQ+ persons in the Mid-Michigan area through education and advocacy and increase the visibility and integration of LGBTQ+ persons in the broader community through networking events.
Artworks of all media are eligible, including but not limited to: painting, sculpture, printmaking, mixed media, fiber, photography, graphic design, installations, short film, and video games. Utilizing guidelines approved by our Board of Directors, a panel of art specialists will adjudicate exhibition proposals. Preference will be given to proposals showcasing innovation in theme, media, or style. Adjudication will be based on originality/creativity, quality and consistency, technical competence, and strength of the concept.
- Submission Deadline (online only): April 5, 2023, at 11:59 PM
- Jury Notification: April 14, 2023
- Artwork Delivery: April 27 - 29, 2023
- Exhibition: May 3 - June 29, 2023
- Reception and Awards Presentation: Thursday, May 11, 2023
- More details to come about additional events and/or programs to support this exhibition.
- Art Pick-up: July 29, starting at 4 PM or Fri. June 30, & July 5, 2023.
Elizabeth Charles Award, $1,000
Elizabeth Charles believed in the arts as a vehicle for self-expression and as a means to develop a deeper understanding of our humanity. As a student, Elizabeth actively championed human equity and diversity. In 2020, the Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center and Elizabeth's father, Norm Charles, established the fund in her honor. Funding is provided by Norm Charles, Phyllis Mellon, as well as additional funders who seek to continue her championship by supporting Michigan artists and amplifying their voices through monetary awards and promotions. Preference will be given to artists with a vision for or emphasis on enhancing awareness and equity across race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or ethnicity.
This award will be given to an artist who demonstrates artistic excellence and works in the fields of social justice and or Diversity Equity and Inclusion.
- Artists must have a Michigan residence.
- Artists must be a member of the LGBTQ+ community.
- Artists must be 18 years of age or older.
- All artwork must be original art of the artist’s own design and creation. Commercial reproductions, including giclée prints, will not be accepted.
- Artwork must have been completed within the past 3 years.
- Artwork must be properly prepared for presentation.
- Artwork may not exceed 4’ in any direction.
- Artwork must be appropriate for audience members of all ages.
Artwork exhibited is not required to be for sale. If the artwork is for sale, the artist must determine the retail price. Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center retains a commission on all works of art sold: members of the gallery have a reduced commission rate of 45%, while non-members are 50%. All commission payments are mailed after the fifteenth of the month following the sale.
Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center will widely promote exhibiting artists through press release distribution locally and statewide, radio interviews, emails, print materials, social media, public speaking engagements, and word-of-mouth.
All accepted entries must be hand-delivered or shipped to: Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center, 300 S. Washington Sq. Suite 100, Lansing, MI 48933. The Gallery is located inside the historic Knapp’s Building in downtown Lansing. Shipped works must be prepaid and arrive by April 22, 2023. For shipped work, please include a prepaid return shipping label with the entry. All packing and shipping costs are the responsibility of the artist.
Artwork must be ready for presentation upon delivery. All hanging works should be framed and fitted with secure hanging wire. Fabric-wrapped canvases are allowed and do not require additional framing. Frames with exposed glass edges are not acceptable. Saw tooth hangers are not permitted. Entries must be dry, completely assembled, framed, matted, or mounted. 3-dimensional entries that hang must have adequate hanging hardware or a hanging system. Work requiring special handling or installation will be accepted only at the discretion of Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center. Unsuitably prepared, hazardous, unstable, or extremely fragile works will be declined.
All art not removed by July 29, 2023, will become the property of the gallery. Entries will be handled with all possible care, but Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center does not provide insurance for artwork and is not responsible for loss or damage from any cause whatsoever. Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center reserves the right to remove artwork for any reason. Entry to the exhibition also constitutes the artists' consent to the Gallery to use images of their artwork for publicity purposes. Participating artists will be required to sign a contract and complete a W-9 form for tax purposes.
Entries must be made online, via Submittable. Applicants must create a user account to submit the entry form. Submissions should represent the exact works of art the artist intends on exhibiting in this exhibition. Entries should include:
– Up to 3 works of art. Two-dimensional artworks should be represented in 1 photo each, while three-dimensional artworks are allotted up to three photos. IMPORTANT: Images should be named as the title of artwork (ex. titleofartwork.jpg)
– Media, retail price (if applicable), and artwork size for each image
– Artist statement to be used for promotional purposes, including the website (Note, changes to the artist statement will not be accepted after the work is accepted).