Tangled Web, an Inaugural Fiber Arts Biennial | July - August 2022
An adjudicated biennial exhibition representing the diversity of contemporary fiber work currently being created in Michigan.
The Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center invites you to submit work for Tangled Web. This inaugural biennial show seeks to tease out the ties that bind text and textiles. Both words, text and textile, share the stem textere, "to weave." Springing from this root, the two are inextricably interwoven in the development of humans. Terms from the world of textiles permeate our language in ways we no longer notice, we weave a tale, lose the thread of thought, tie up loose ends, and hope with every fiber of our beings.
How do you understand the connection between text and textiles? Whether you are commenting on the social fabric, embroidering the truth, weaving a tale, knitting ideas together, tied up in knots, or creating a patchwork of images layered with meaning, we’d love to see how you explore the thread of this idea. We wait on tenterhooks for your submissions!
This inaugural exhibition will be adjudicated by acclaimed fiber artists Carole Harris, Xia Gao and Boisali Biswas.
• Artists must reside in Michigan
• Artists must be 18 years of age or older
• Artwork must be original in concept and design and primarily feature fibers, although mixed media fiber work is acceptable
• Artwork must be properly prepared for presentation at the time of delivery (including hardware)
• Artwork must have been created within the past three years
• Artwork may not exceed 8’ in any direction
• Artwork must be presented and framed in accordance with our framing and presentation guidelines which can be found here.
There is a non-refundable entry fee of $35 per application (each entry includes images of up to three works of art for consideration. Members may enter for $30 per application; become a member here. This may be waived as a scholarship upon request. Entry fees help fund operational costs for the exhibit including juror stipends, promotional and administrative costs.
Biennial Submission Deadline (online only): April 15, 2022
Jury notification: by May 31, 2022
Artwork Delivery: June 29 - 30, 2022
Exhibition: July 7 – August 26, 2022
Reception and Awards Presentation: Thursday, July 14, 5 – 7 PM
Art removal: August 27 & 29, 2022
Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center will widely promote exhibiting artists through press release distribution locally and statewide, radio interviews, emails, print materials, social media, public speaking engagements, and word-of-mouth. An online exhibition catalog will feature all selected artwork.
Artist is responsible for delivery and removal OR shipping, insurance, and return postage for artwork to be returned. All art not removed by August 31, 2022 will become the property of the gallery. Entries will be handled with all possible care, but Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center does not provide insurance for artwork and is not responsible for loss or damage from any cause whatsoever. Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center reserves the right to remove artwork for any reason. Permission to photograph accepted work for publicity purposes shall be granted unless specifically denied in writing. Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center will charge 50% commission on artwork sales for non-members and 45% for members. Participating artists will be required to sign a contract and complete a W-9 form for tax purposes.
Entries must be made online. Submissions should represent the exact works of art the artist intends on exhibiting
Entries should include:
· Up to 3 works of art.
· Two-dimensional artworks should be represented in 1 photo each, while three-dimensional artworks are allotted up to three photos.
· Images should be named as the title of artwork (ex. titleofartwork.jpg)
· Media, retail price (if applicable), and artwork size should be included for each image
· Artist statement included will be used for promotional purposes, including the website
• Artists must be living in Michigan.
• Artists must be 18 years of age or older.
• All artwork must be original art of the artist’s own creation.
• All accepted artwork must be finished and ready for display.
• Gallery personnel will display artwork.
• Artwork must have been completed within the past 3 years.
Utilizing guidelines approved by our Board of Directors, art specialists will adjudicate your artwork. These professionals adjudicate on a rotating basis, ensuring the gallery represents a variety of tastes and styles. Lansing Art Gallery & Eduction Center makes every effort to contact artists within one month of submission receipt.
You may upload a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 10 images of artwork per submission. Please fill in the blanks for each image appropriately, including title, media, price, and size.
Image names must match either the title of each piece of artwork, or the image number. (ex: titleofimage.jpg, image1.jpg) Each entry must include an artist statement. You may upload this statement, or type it in the appropriate text field.
Lansing Art Gallery & Education Center retains a commission (45% for members and 50% for non-members) of all sales. Artists are not required to be members of the Gallery.
If work is declined, artists may submit artwork again in six months for reconsideration. Juror comments are available upon request.
If you have any questions regarding this application or the jury process, please contact Exhibitions & Gallery Sales Director, Katrina M. Daniels at firstname.lastname@example.org or 517-374-6400 ext. 3.